Take Action Today!
- Families Belong Together: Despite a court order for reunification by July 10, nearly half of the children under 5 remain without their parents. Over 50 children are expected to be reunited today, with others in limbo as lawyers work to clear parents to take custody or to find parents no longer in custody - some of whom have been deported without their children.
- Take Action: You can continue to call legislators and support organizations helping families in need. For further information, read our blog post from a few weeks ago.
- Shut Down Berks is holding a vigil on Sunday to Shut Down the Berks County Family Detention Center. Check out the link to learn more.
- SCOTUS: Last night, the President announced his nominee for the Supreme Court, Brett Kavanaugh. Judge Kavanaugh currently serves on the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia.
- Take Action: You can read more about Judge Kavanaugh from CNN, Fox News, the New York Times, the Independent, and other sources.
- Once you've formed your opinion, call your Senator at 202-224-3121 to share it. Here's a sample script: "Hello, my name is ________ and I live in (your state). I do/do not support the Supreme Court nominee because __________. I urge you to vote _________ on his nomination."
- Affordable Care Act: Over the weekend, the administration suspended a program that stabilizes health insurance markets under the Affordable Care Act. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services said they took the action in response to a February court ruling on the payment formula, and said they were "hoping for a prompt resolution of the issue." However, insurers are warning that a long-term freeze could significantly increase premiums for next year.
- Take Action: Call your legislators at 202-224-3121 and ask them when ACA funding will be unfrozen. We will let you know as we hear of more actions to take.
- What other issues are we missing? Check out this run-down from NPR, or email us and let us know what you want us to cover.