LIHEAP Opens Today!
The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is scheduled to reopen November 2, 2015. LIHEAP is a cash grant sent directly to utility companies to help low-income households pay heating bills.
You can apply for LIHEAP online, using a paper form, or at your local County Assistance Office (CAO). There is also a LIHEAP hotline available Monday through Friday (individuals with hearing impairments may call the TDD number at 1-800-451-5886).
A Crisis program will also open in Fall 2015 to provide additional money to families in an emergency who are at risk of losing their heat. Emergencies include:
- Broken/leaking heating equipment that must be fixed or replaced
- Lack of fuel
- Shut-off of the main or second heating source
- Potential of being without fuel (less than 15 day supply) or of having utilities shut off within 60 days.
- Luzerne - Commission on Economic Opportunity of Luzerne Co., 1-800-822-0359;
- Wyoming - Commission on Economic Opportunity of Wyoming Co., (570) 836-4090.
Interested in PathWays PA blog posts on similar topics?