Some 2009-2010 Budget Line Items Unfrozen
Although the Governor has already released his new budget for FY 2010-2011, work continues to be done on the FY 2009-2010 version. Last week, the Governor's office announced that some line items put into budgetary reserve in January 2010 would be released for spending. These line items total $32.7 million in funding for programs including:
- Public Television: $500,000 of the $1 million line item was put into reserve (aka "frozen"). $900,000 is now available.
- Minority Business Development: $900,000 unfrozen
- Department of Agriculture: $2.05 million in total spending released, covering items such as farm safety, food marketing and research, and crop insurance
- Department of Public Welfare: $10 million in total spending released, including $4.2 million for acute care and $2.7 million for Healthcare Clinics. Some programs which had a 20 percent budget cut under the freeze (such as hospital based burn centers and Medical Assistance line items for Obstetrics and Neonatal care) had 10 percentage points of their budget restored.
- Department of Education: $4.5 million in total spending released, including $1.7 million on Mobile Science Education and $945,000 unfrozen for Regional Community Colleges and Higher Education Assistance.
- Department of Health: $4.6 million released, including $2.3 million for bio-technology research.