One in Five Workers is Leaving Money on the Table!
PathWays PA can help workers get their taxes done for free at VITA sites throughout the region – and will be announcing a special VITA site later in the week!
EITC Awareness Week Events:
1/26 – PathWays PA releases list of local VITA sites online
1/27 – PathWays PA promotes DelcoAD VITA sites online
1/28 – PathWays PA makes special announcement about VITA Supersite
1/29 – PathWays PA holds EITC Awareness Twitter Storm from 10 – 11 AM (sample tweets/images available here)
www.pathwayspa.org / pathwaysvita.com / @PathWaysPA / @PathWaysPolicy
Workers can get a larger tax refund this year because of the EITC (Earned Income Tax Credit) – but one in five eligible workers don’t know about it! During EITC Awareness Week, PathWays PA will share information daily to help spread the word about the EITC and how we can help workers access the money they’ve earned.
In 2015, 27.5 million workers received more than $66.7 billion in EITC refunds. In our area alone, PathWays PA and its partners brought over $3 million back into our local economy with free tax services. But the IRS estimates that only four out of five workers claim the EITC they earned, leaving billions of dollars on the table each year.
We want to get the word out to those who are eligible to file a tax return even if they don’t owe any tax to claim the EITC; it’s money workers can use for groceries, rent, utilities and other bills.
If you worked last year and had income of less than $53,267, you may qualify for EITC. EITC can mean up to a $6,242 refund when you file a return if you have qualifying children. On average, EITC adds $2,400 to refunds.
At PathWays PA and across the country, volunteers – trained by the Internal Revenue Service – can prepare and e-file (electronically file) your tax return at no cost to you.
"Our community volunteers help you get EITC and the maximum refund you’re due. Our goal is to help you get it and get it right. This is money you can save or use to pay off bills, buy that car to get to work, save for your child’s education or make a down payment on a home. Let us help make your life a little easier,“ said Maria Duncan-Prince, Senior Manager of Self Sufficiency and Community Tax Programs at PathWays PA.
Let us help you get it and get it right. Visit our free tax preparation site pathwaysvita.com or call 800-209-2914 to sign up for an appointment to get your taxes done for free.
Bring the following to make sure our volunteers get you the amount of credit you deserve:
- A valid driver's license or other photo id card
- Social security cards, or individual taxpayer identifying number (ITIN) assignment letter, for all persons listed on the return
- Birth dates for all persons listed on return
- All income statements: Forms W-2 and 1099, Social Security, unemployment, and other statements, such as pensions, stocks, interest, dividends, gambling winnings and any documents showing taxes withheld
- All records of expenses, such as tuition, mortgage interest, or real estate taxes
- Copies of last year's state and federal tax returns, if you have them
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers to direct deposit any refund
- Dependent child care information: name and address of who you paid and either the caretaker's SSN or other tax identification number
- Affordable Health Care Insurance statements (ACA) Forms 1095-A, B or C Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- If e-filing a joint return both spouses must be present to sign forms