This policy brief, based on reports from the National Center for Homeless Education, the United States General Accounting Office, and the Pennsylvania Department of Education, shows that the number of children and youth experiencing homelessness has now exceeded 1.26 million.
Some of the other findings include:
- In 2013 19,459 children and youth in Pennsylvania experienced homelessness.
- The number of homeless students enrolled in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade increased nationally by 8% between 2011-12 and 2012-13 school years.
- Most homeless students are living doubled up with other families, not in shelters or in the outdoors.
Interested in PathWays PA blog posts on similar topics?
- 10/23/14 - Homeless Memorial Day is December 18
- 6/30/14 - Ask Senators to Co-sponsor the Bi-Partisan Summer Meals Act of 2014
- 5/29/14 - Support Health Care for Military Women and Military Families