While Congress is looking at cutting a program that ensures children and families have food on the table below are some facts about the program and the people who use it to survive:
- 85% of recipients of food stamps have incomes below the federal poverty line, or $18,500 for a family of three. The remaining 15% of income just above that line.
- The average household on food stamps has a monthly income of $711.
- Most SNAP recipients were children or elderly. Nearly half (48%) were children and another 8% were age 60 or older.
- 75% of the people who receive food stamps do so for a year or less. It is a program to help those who are struggling when they are struggling.
The participation levels in the food stamps program has increased over the last few years. The program was built in a way that it could grow when the economy was weak. Participation levels are expected to drop as the economy improves, meaning the program will shrink with the need. Congress making substantial cuts will only increase the level of food insecurity meaning more children and families will be going hungry.