To date, nearly 2,000 organizations have signed CHN's letter against automatic human services cuts in the federal budget. In order to accommodate more groups, the deadline has been extended until COB June 29, 2012. If your organization has not done so already, CHN encourages you to sign - and forward to your colleagues - this letter urging Congress to avoid sequestration’s across-the-board cuts by passing a “balanced approach to deficit reduction that does not include further cuts to nondefense discretionary programs.”
Here is some background information:
- The jargon:
- the domestic and international programs subject to these cuts are known as “non-defense discretionary (NDD)” programs.
- “Sequestration” (aka “the sequester”) is the federal budget term for the automatic cuts scheduled to begin in January. To learn more, click here.
- In response to these potentially destructive cuts, a unique group of organizations has come together to protect the funding for these core government functions.
- This group of organizations, including the Coalition on Human Needs, is urging organizations to sign this letter, asking Congress to avoid the sequester by passing a “balanced approach to deficit reduction that does not include further cuts to NDD programs.”
- All national, state and local organizations are encouraged to sign by June 29, 2012.
For a copy of the letter, click here.