As Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) programs struggle to meet the growing need for their services, legislation has been introduced to help meet that need. Last week Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH) introduced S. 3865: The VITA Act of 2010. This legislation will authorize the VITA Grant Program at $35 million, greatly strengthening the capacity of VITA programs and their ability to serve working families.
With a large number of calls from the field, NCTC believes they can gather at least 20 Senate cosponsors over the next 2 weeks. But they need your help to do it. They have offered the following tips:
- Step 1: Find your Senator's DC Phone Number
- Step 2: Ask to speak with the tax staffer. If they are not available, leave a voicemail but make sure to follow-up.
- Step 3: Ask the staffer if the Senator will cosponsor the 2010 VITA Act (see fact sheet).
- Step 4: If the Senator is interested in cosponsoring, they should contact Patrick Jackson (Patrick_Jackson@brown.senate.gov) in Senator Sherrod Brown's office.
- Step 5: Email the staffer the following information immediately following the call:
Once you have the appropriate staffer's name, you can go ahead and email them the information listed above and follow-up with a call. Standard Senate staffer emails are: Firstname_Lastname@senatorslastname.senate.gov
After connecting with your Senator's office, please send an update to Lucy Mullany, NCTC's Manager of Government Relations.