There have been rumors going back and forth about whether or not PHA would be opening up their waiting list for housing choice (Section 8) today, March 1. As of this morning, PHA has said that they will be opening the list tomorrow because of delays last week due to the weather. Relevant information will appear in the newspapers tomorrow, March 2.
Some things to keep in mind:
- No walk-in applicants will be accepted
- Applicants and people are urged to apply online
- If you cannot apply online, call and make an appointment at PHA offices.
- Eligible applicants need to meet the income requirements, generally 30 percent of the area median income (roughly $17,000/year for a single individual, $24,000 for a family of four).
- Households must not have any prohibitive criminal justice issues including: registered sex offenders, felony conviction in the last three years, and conviction of operating a meth lab.
- Applicants must provide the required documentation (birth certificates, Social Security number, income info, pay stubs, etc.) and must be able to get utilities service connected in his/her name (previous debt to PECO or PGW can be an issue).
- Applicant cannot owe any money to any Housing Authority or any other subsidized housing program.